Following is a list of projects funded by the Icelandic Research Fund 2016-2019, where the PI is a member of the Centre for Research in the Humanities.
Grants of Excellence
- Jón Ólafsson (with Björg Thorarensen, Valur Ingimundarson and Stefanía Óskarsdóttir): Democratic Constitutional Design: Negotiating Civic Engagement, Institutional Control and the Common Good (EDDA - Centre of Excellence)
- Sigurður Gylfi Magnússon (with Már Jónsson, Davíð Ólafsson, Sigurjón B. Hafsteinsson, Anna Lísa Rúnarsdóttir, Gavin Murray Lucas, Þóra Pétursdóttir and Kristján Mímisson): My Favorite Things: Material Culture Archives, Cultural Heritage and Meaning (Institute of History).
- Sigríður Sigurjónsdóttir and Eiríkur Rögnvaldsson (with Ari Páll Kristinsson, Ásgrímur Angantýsson, Birna Arnbjörnsdóttir, Guðbjörg Andrea Jónsdóttir, Charles Yang, Joel Constine Wallenberg, Laurel MacKenzie, Noel P. Ó Murchadha, Elín Þöll Þórðardóttir, Anton Karl Ingason and Ásrún Jóhannsdóttir): Modeling the Linguistic Consequences of Digital Contact (MoLiCoDiLaCo) (Institute of Linguistics).
- Íris Ellenberger (with Erla Hulda Halldórsdóttir, Gerardine Meaney, Anu Koivunen, Cormac O'Brien, Kaisa Ilmonen, Anne Mulhall, Peter Edelberg and Ásta Kristín Benediktsdóttir): From sexual outlaws to model citizens: The relations between queer sexualities and nationality in Iceland 1944–2010.
- Finnur Ulf Dellsén (with Insa Lawler): Understanding Progress in Science and Beyond (Instititue of Philosophy).
- Jóhannes Gísli Jónsson and Cherlon Usser (with Nicole Dehé, Einar Freyr Sigurðsson, Jim Wood and Hjálmar P. Petersen): Ditransitives in Insular Scandinavian (Institute of Linguistics).
- Sif Ríkharðsdóttir (with Þórhallur Eyþórsson, Carolyne Larrington, Frank Brandsma and Massimiliano Bampi): Emotion and the Medieval Self in Northern Europe (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Sverrir Jakobsson (with Þórir Jónsson Hraundal): Legends of the Eastern Vikings (Institute of History).
- Björn Þorsteinsson and Sigríður Þorgeirsdóttir (with Donata Schoeller, Claire Petitmengin, Andreas Roepstorff, Guðbjörg R. Jóhannesdóttir and MaryJeanne Larrabee): ECT - Embodied Critical Thinking (Instititue of Philosophy).
- Orri Vésteinsson (with Jette Arneborg, Christian Koch Madsen, Ólafur Eggertsson, Gurli Meyer, Karsten Secher and Sólveig Guðmundsdóttir Beck): Sticks and Stones. Raw Material Use in Norse Greenland (Institute of History).
- Ragnheiður Kristjánsdóttir and Erla Hulda Halldórsdóttir (with Þorgerður H. Þorvaldsdóttir): In the Wake of Suffrage. Icelandic Women as Cultural and Political Agents, 1915-2015 (Institute of History).
- Guðmundur Jónsson (with Árni Daníel Júlíusson, Björgvin Sigurðsson, Ólöf Garðarsdóttir and Ingibjörg Jónsdóttir): The Pillars of Rural Society. Family and Household Economy in Early Eighteenth Century Iceland (Institute of History).
- Elmar Geir Unnsteinsson (with Ólafur Páll Jónsson, Francois Recanati, Deirdre Wilson and Daniel Harris): Confused Intentions and the Prospect of a Metasemantics of Singular Terms (Institute of Philosophy).
- Matthew James Whelpton and Alan Beretta (with Þór Eysteinsson, Einar Jón Einarsson, Þórhallur Eyþórsson, Andrew Trotter and Sigríður Sigurjónsdóttir): Brain and Language: Neurolinguistics and ths Syntax-Semantics Interface in Icelandic (Institute of Linguistics).
- Nanna Hlín Halldórsdóttir: Listening to Fatigue: From the perspective of feminist phenomenology and critical theory (Instititue of Philosophy).
- Declan Taggart: Fickle friends: Disentangling religion, morality and society in the early medieval North (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts)
- Anna Björk Einarsdóttir: Peripheral Proletarianism: Literary Radicalism Between the Wars (1918-1939) (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Ágústa Edwald Maxwel: From Middens to Landfills. The Archaeology of Waste Disposal in Iceland 1850-1990 (Institute of History).
- Magnús Þór Þorbergsson: A History of Icelandic-Canadian Theatre: Routes, Networks and Intersections of Immigrant Community Theatres (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Simon Halink: The Afterlife of Snorri Sturluson. A Cross-Cultural Analysis of Snorri's Role in the Cultural Memory of Iceland, Denmark, and Norway (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Gísli Rúnar Harðarson: Compound Structure in Icelandic and Beyond (Institute of Linguistics).
- Gunnar Theodór Eggertsson: Icelandic Animal Stories - an international investigation (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Sofiya Zahova: Romane lila. Romani Publications as Intersection Between Identity Politics and Literature (Vigdís Finnbogadóttir Institute).
Before 2016 no formal doctoral grants were available but supervisors could apply for grants for their PhD students under the rubric of Project Grants.
- Ermenegilda Rachel Müller (supervisor Margrét Eggertsdóttir): Origins and Impact of the First Icelandic Printed Collections of Sagas (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Katrín Lísa van der Linde Mikaelsdóttir (supervisor Haraldur Bernharðsson): Norwegianisms in Icelandic Manuscripts from 1350 to 1450 (Institute of Linguistics).
- Sigrún Birgisdóttir (supervisor Ólafur Rastrick): Transformation of Territory: How Tourism Effects Change in Architecture and Landscapes as Studied Across an East-West Transect of 64°Latitude in Iceland (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Bjarni Gunnar Ásgeirsson (supervisor Svanhildur Óskarsdóttir): The Textual Tradition of Njáls saga: The Case of Skafinskinna (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Björn Reynir Halldórsson (supervisor Valur Ingimundarson): The Icelandic Women's Alliance: Challenging a Political System from a Feminist Perspective (Institute of History).
- Ole Martin Sandberg (supervisor Sigríður Þorgeirsdóttir): Philosophy and Democratic Crisis: Anthropological Assumptions as Self-Fulfilling Prophecies (Instititue of Philosophy).
- Atli Antonsson (supervisor Guðni Elísson): A Cultural History of Volcanic Eruptions in Iceland (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Ingunn Hreinberg Indriðadóttir (supervisor Höskuldur Þráinsson): Weight Effects and Word Order Variation in Icelandic and Faroese (Institute of Linguistics).
- Roberto Pagani (supervisor Haraldur Bernharðsson): Scribes and Scribal Practice in 15th Century Iceland - The Evolution of Script, Orthography, and Language in the Long 15th Century (ca. 1375-1525) (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Gústav Adolf B. Sigurbjörnsson (supervisor Björn Þorsteinsson): Worlds Beyond Mine: A Phenomenological Analysis of the Epistemology of Empathy and Communication (Instititue of Philosophy).
- Jon Simon Markússon (supervisor Þórhallur Eyþórsson): Icelandic and Faroese: A Cognitive Analysis of Morphological Change (Institute of Linguistics).
- Sævar Ari Finnbogason (supervisor Jón Ólafsson): Legitimacy Puzzles: Deliberative Mini-publics and Representative Democracy (Instititue of Philosophy).
- Védís Ragnheiðardóttir (supervisor Ármann Jakobsson): The Emergence and Development of Indigenous Riddarasögur: The Case of Exempla (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).
- Nanna Hlín Halldórsdóttir (supervisor Sigríður Þorgeirsdóttir): Vulnerable in a Job Interview. From Butler's Ethics to a Marxist Politics (Instititue of Philosophy).
- Vanessa Monika Isenmann (supervisor Kristján Árnason): Computer-Mediated Cummunication in Iceland. Language Use in Informal Environments and its Public (Institute of Linguistics).
- Yoav Tirosh (supervisor Ármann Jakobsson): Textinn í farþegasætinu: Handritageymd og bókmenntagreinaflokkun Ljósvetninga sögu (Institute of Research in Literature and Visual Arts).